Learning Journalism in India

Hello, welcome to my blog. I am a student of Journalism. Through my blog, I'll try to share with you the knowledge that I gain on various aspects related to the noble profession. I hope you'll enjoy going through my blog posts. Happy reading:-)

Friday, July 18, 2008

Baby steps towards learning Journalism

4 Lecture hours in Journalism

So far, I have attended 4 lecture hours and find myself, inextricably drawn towards a career in Journalism. The faculty members at the institute include industry professionals. They promise that learning journalism at the institute will be a fun activity for us. One of them being the Chief-Editor of a vernacular daily.

My course curriculum includes topics like:

1) Indian Press laws, History of Journalism;
2) Writing;
3) Reporting;
4) Editing;
5) Newspaper Management & Mass Communication.

The Chief-Editor of the vernacular daily is instructing us on various aspects related to Reporting.

So let me see if I can recollect the factors that determine the "newsworthiness" of a story filed by a reporter.

They are:

1)Impact;
2)Proximity;
3)Timeliness;
4)Prominence;
5)Conflict;
6)Relevance, Usefulness & Interest.

Ah!! Yes, I do remember them:-)

Some books on Journalism that we have been told to follow include:

1)News Reporting & Editing- K.M. Srivastava
2)Interpretative Reporting- Curtis D. MacDougall
3)The Indian Reporter's Guide- Richard Critchfield

Tomorrow's blog will cover details about Day-5. A new lecturer. The subject to be taught is Editing- the most uninteresting part of Journalism, or so I have been told.

By the way, can you suggest some books that I could use as reference material? Please leave a comment on my blog and let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At July 18, 2008 at 7:03 AM , Blogger Believe in Healing Power said...

I am sure ur expereice-sharing on the daily basis on journalism course will prove to be enriching for all the ones, who want to pursue this course, but have not given it a serious thought yet. Besides, those, who have already done this course, they can recall and relive those exciting class lectures once again, provided they had really enjoyed the expereince. To say it so, the points on ‘"newsworthiness" of a story’ literally transported me back in time to those class lectures, I used to feel little lazy to attend initially, because of their early morning schedules , but started enjoying them as time passed .

It is my belief the knowledge you are going to gain from this course, will prove to be fruitful when you enter this field in practice. I wish you all success in your career :)

 
At July 18, 2008 at 7:13 AM , Blogger An Aspiring Journalist said...

Thanks Prerana...Good to see you on my blog...

If you want to relive the moments that you enjoyed as a student of Journalism, keep visiting my blog...Exciting times lie ahead:-)

 
At July 24, 2008 at 5:14 AM , Blogger Paulb said...

I'd love to know more about online journalism's development in India. If you or any classmates want to let me know what are the biggest developments, I'd be happy to hear from you - my contact details are on the blog.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home