Learning Journalism in India

Hello, welcome to my blog. I am a student of Journalism. Through my blog, I'll try to share with you the knowledge that I gain on various aspects related to the noble profession. I hope you'll enjoy going through my blog posts. Happy reading:-)

Monday, July 21, 2008

Get the spelling right !!

Journalism Lectures, Day-6

Another lecture hour on Writing. Today, I felt like a dork. My 14 years of schooling and 3 years of college life came to nought, when I realized that I couldn't spell certain words correctly or with confidence. How embarrassing!

Ah, I got the spelling right! Yes, the word that troubled me was, "embarrassment". I had earlier spelt it with a single "r". Harassment was a word that I got right, but wasn't confident about!

Continuing on the differences between Journalistic Writing and Creative Writing- In Creative Writing "willing suspension of disbelief" is possible; but that's an impossibility as far as newspaper writing is concerned.

Someone who liked the Harry Potter series, is unlikely to accept a report on a Quidditch match in the sports column of his favourite newspaper! It just can't be true! Yes, newspaper reports have to be believable and logical.

Origin of the term "Soap Opera"

The origin of the term, "Soap Opera", can be traced back to the period when television serials were produced by soap manufacturers.

Another interesting observation- Journalistic Writing is Instant Literature. What appears in today's newspaper is unlikely to have any value the next day. News is the most perishable item in the world!

So what does it take to be a good writer?

1) Be an avid reader; it helps in increasing vocabulary, improve on your grammar, develop style, and increase knowledge base.
2) Lots of hard work and commitment.
3) Faith in one's writing capabilities.

And of course, get the spelling RIGHT !!!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home