Learning Journalism in India

Hello, welcome to my blog. I am a student of Journalism. Through my blog, I'll try to share with you the knowledge that I gain on various aspects related to the noble profession. I hope you'll enjoy going through my blog posts. Happy reading:-)

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Newspaper Management

Journalism Lectures, Day-7

Another lecture hour, this time in Newspaper Management . This is one lecturer who has not yet informed us about his professional background. Or maybe, I missed that part! But he's very serious about the task of imparting knowledge to his students and has, very clearly, conveyed what he expects from us. I am thoroughly impressed with his professionalism!

So what did he lecture us on? Well, he talked about the definition of Management, Levels of Management and Functions of Management and explained its relevance in the context of a newspaper syndicate.

Definition of Management: "Management is a unique combination of art and science to get the things done by someone else, for the accomplishment of organizational goals."

He has explained and repeated the definition of Management so many times, that I don't think I'll ever forget his version of the same.

Levels of Management: Upper, Middle and Lower

If I understood correctly, in terms of a newspaper house, the levels of management would be:

Upper management- Owner and Chief-editor
Middle management- Sub-editors
Lower management- Reporters

Functions of Management:

1) Planning; (P)
2) Organizing; (O)
3) Directing; (D)
4) Staffing; (S)
5) Co-ordinating; (C)
6) Reporting; (R)
7) Controlling; (C)
8) Budgeting. (B)

I used "PODS-CRCB" to recollect the Functions of Management.

Tomorrow another day, another lecturer and more to follow on learning journalism .

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home