Learning Journalism in India

Hello, welcome to my blog. I am a student of Journalism. Through my blog, I'll try to share with you the knowledge that I gain on various aspects related to the noble profession. I hope you'll enjoy going through my blog posts. Happy reading:-)

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Finally, a lecture on Editing?

Journalism Lectures, Day-8

Finally, I attended a lecture on the topic of Editing! The lecturer has been working with "The Statesman" for more than 30 years now! Started off his career with the newspaper in the capacity of a sub-editor.

Like most of the other lecturers at the institute, he's tremendously energetic. Anyone belonging to the Indian Media has to be full of energy and vibrancy, though not necessarily intelligent and well informed.;-)(There! I blew my chances of getting an internship! LoL)

On a more serious note, the class room lectures on Journalism are so different from what I have gone through doing my school and college days. There's so much to learn and enjoy. A real pity that I have to rush off to work, right after the lecture hours end. Don't get much time to interact with my classmates and lecturers at the institute.

The lecturer for today, talked about "newsworthiness". He provided a not- too-dissimilar version of "what is News" from what the lecturer on Reporting had provided.

A classmate was disgruntled with the state of affairs of the Indian Media. She talked about principles, ethics and morals associated with the noble profession of journalism.

"Why does the Abhi-Ash wedding appear on the front page of a national daily?", she inquired.

"Because, that's what the Indian readers wanted to read about! That's what they were keenly interested in, at that point in time", answered the lecturer.

But my classmate wasn't convinced. "Then the Print Media is all about popularism and making lots of money. A business, not a mission." she argued.

"Times have changed and we must learn to adapt to the changing circumstances.", the lecturer continued.

"Yes, times have changed. But at what cost?", the girl grumbled.

"We'll discuss how to balance the principles, ethics and morals side of journalism with the business aspect of it, in my next class", the lecturer assured us and took his leave.

I rushed off too; was getting late for work!

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At June 21, 2009 at 9:03 AM , Blogger Divya Lad said...

Hey.. I am an aspiring journalist too.. I liked your blog..! It's very informative.. Would you please like to tell me what institute do you study at and what course? And also where do you presently work? Only if it's all not too personal..! Cheers!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home