Learning Journalism in India

Hello, welcome to my blog. I am a student of Journalism. Through my blog, I'll try to share with you the knowledge that I gain on various aspects related to the noble profession. I hope you'll enjoy going through my blog posts. Happy reading:-)

Friday, July 25, 2008

Nitty gritties of Reporting

Journalism Lectures, Day 9 and 10

2 lecture hours on Reporting and I already feel enlightened! A quick glance at my notebook and I am ready to add one more post to my blog.

The topics that have been touched upon in the last 2 days have been mentioned below.

Day 9: Introduction writing, it's relevance to the "Inverted Pyramid" style of writing, different forms of introduction writing and the structure of a newspaper report.

Day 10:Role of simplicity, sentences, paragraphs, sources of a reporter and litigations.

On Day 9, the "Inverted Pyramid" style of writing was discussed in great details. A newspaper report must include the most important points of a story in the introduction itself. Apart from grabbing the attention of a reader, mentioning the important points of a story in the first paragraph, serves another critical function.

When an editor decides to chop off a few lines from a story filed by the reporter, the person begins his/her way up from the bottom! The last few paragraphs are assumed to be the least important and the editor is unlikely to show any mercy when he has deadlines to meet.

So, there he goes snip, snip, snip- working his way through the report. "The editor has murdered my story", is a common complaint made by most of the reporters when they see their "mutilated story" in next day's newspaper.

More to come later...

1 Comments:

At August 3, 2008 at 9:34 AM , Blogger Saheli Dutta said...

Dear Ajit,
Going through your blog has definitely left me enlightened.The fact that I am myelf associated with the print media gives me that extra edge to relate to what you are trying to convey. Ethics, judiciousness, discretion, instant thinking, clarity of thought, mastery over language and passion are the essential components that constitute the premise of this profession. It's over half year now that I have switched over to this profession and I feel that inspite of being compartmentalised each and every aspect that goes into the printing of an edition is integrally related. You have to be involved or at least aware of the functioning of the units that comprise the whole.
Before wrapping up the post I would like to congratulate your effort to share your class experience that, I am sure, will make interesting reading for all the would-be journos out there. I hope to continue sharing our mutual thoughts on this matter. Wish you good luck!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home